Monday, October 7, 2013

I'm Always the Last to Know

I don't cook, knit, scrapbook or decorate the house for Halloween, so it's no surprise that Susan Branch has never appeared on my radar.  I'm more likely to think of knitting needles as murder weapons, thanks to the hundreds of mysteries I've read over the years. I stumbled on this artist/writer/blogger/entrepreneur by accident.  Scrolling through the latest additions to my local library, I came across A Fine Romance, the diary of her recent trip to England. I checked it out.  Now I'm hooked.

I have a confession to make.  I'm a complete anglophile.  Thanks to my Grandma Pal's shelf full of Agatha Christie's books, I was an early convert to tea, sherry with the vicar and English country houses.  I may live in a contemporary-style house with contemporary furniture, but in my heart of hearts I yearn for a garden like this

outside a cottage like this

where I drink tea from a cup and saucer like this

I think you get the picture.  Back to Susan Branch.  When I'm feeling the need for something sweet and charming, I'll be visiting her blog.  It's a quick fix when I want to feel safe and cozy, and it's a wonderful antidote to all the negativity and vitriol emanating from our nation's capitol right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment