Thursday, March 8, 2012

Plots and Outlines

Currently I'm composing an outline for India #4.  Many authors work from an outline while others enjoy the high wire act of writing without one.  Being the type of person who enjoys doing to-do lists and organizing my office, I prefer working out the big picture before I begin writing.

I have three main themes to develop in #4:  the criminal/espionage plot, the exposition of India's background, and the relationship between India and French.  I concentrate on only one theme at a time, writing brief descriptions of the scenes needed to develop the theme in its entirety.  When I've fully fleshed out each theme I'll combine my three outlines into one, interspersing scenes and determining the contents of each chapter.  I'm having almost as much fun experimenting with this approach as I have when writing .

No comments:

Post a Comment