Monday, April 23, 2012

Home Again

I'm back from the Missouri Writers' Guild conference, held over the weekend in the St. Louis suburb of Chesterfield.  It's been awhile since I've attended a conference of any kind and I've forgotten just how exhausting they can be, even if you're not called upon to do much.

On Friday I had lunch with my friend Ann and we talked for hours.  Great fun and I hope to do that again some day.  Then it was over to the hotel to meet my agent Ann.  We've talked on the phone and corresponded (a lot) by email, but had never met in person.  Since the beginning of our relationship, I've felt fortunate to have Ann as an agent and this weekend just confirmed how lucky I am.  We did a session on the author/agent relationship and a live video interview (I think I waved my hands a lot) and in between we talked whenever we could.  What a fantastic agent and friend!

My favorite image from the conference:  the editor of a children's magazine propping up the bar at the end of the day on Saturday, downing martinis.  Can't say I blame her.  Every agent and editor there had been listening to pitches for hours and had a haunted look by the end of the conference.  Nothing glamorous about those jobs; it was hard work.

No comments:

Post a Comment