Wednesday, June 20, 2012

The Marquess of Tullibardine

I wasn't striving for historical accuracy when I introduced the Dowager Marchioness of Tullibardine in India Black and the Widow of Windsor.  Looking at a map of Scotland, I noticed the name "Tullibardine," and thought it sounded very Scottish.  I'm not sure why I chose to make my character a marchioness rather than a duchess or some other aristocratic rank, but I did (thereby violating my own rule about having easy names to type for my characters-I got pretty darned tired of typing marchioness).

Since I chose the title by chance, I was surprised to read the obituary of the 11th Duke of Atholl in The Telegraph while in London and find that his successor would be his oldest son, Bruce, "styled by courtesy Marquess of Tullibardine."  I suppose I should have consulted Debrett's Peerage and Baronetage.  I can only hope the new Duke doesn't take offense that I have co-opted his title for my own use.

By the way, the Duke of Atholl is the only person to have his own legal private army in Europe, the Atholl Highlanders.  Here is the current Duke inspecting his troops:

No comments:

Post a Comment