Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Choosing a Title

I've posted before about India's third adventure, in which she penetrates a cell of anarchists.  Nineteenth century anarchists were either (a) juvenile, (b) very savvy when it came to public relations, or (c) both.  The cells (or 'combat units' as they liked to call themselves) usually operated under a sinister name, such as the 'Black Banner' or the 'Black Flag.'  Black was definitely the color of choice, although red made an appearance from time to time.

You can see right away that titling India #3 something like India Black and the Black Flag just doesn't sound right.  Casting about for a title, I chose India Black and the Dark Legion.  I wasn't enamored with this title, so I sent an alternative to my editor:  India Black and the Infernal Machines.  Anarchist bombs were often referred to by the police and the press as 'infernal machines.'  That title didn't grab me either.  Emily the editor has suggested India Black and the Shadows of Anarchy, which I'm inclined to go with.  You wouldn't think you could invent an entire world and people it with imaginary characters and still not be able to come up with a simple thing like a title but, trust me, it can be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment