Wednesday, February 29, 2012

The Delights of Mrs. Pym

I was predisposed to like this book, as the heroine bears the same surname as one of favorite detecting females, Josephine Tey's delightful Lucy Pym of Miss Pym Disposes.  

 

Then I opened the cover and found this:


I'm always delighted to find traces of prior ownership in a book.  I like to think that Dorothy was pleased to own this book and that, given the date of 1943, it brought some much needed relief from the depressing news of the time.  Her handwriting is the old-fashioned sort of handwriting that I was taught in grade school but lost during law school as speed was more of necessity than quality.  Her signature reminds me of a time when handwriting was considered an art form.

And then I turned the page and found this dedication:



I'd love to know the story behind that.

Before I'd read a word, I was utterly beguiled by this book.  And I'm pleased to say that the rest of the book lived up to my expectations.  It's a pity that the Mrs. Pym series is so difficult to find.









1 comment:

  1. Morland had some interesting dedications in his books. I'm going to go through all of them when I get home tonight and see who else he was compelled to honor or impress.

    This was an intricate one. Glad you liked it. There aren't many thrillkill murderers in the Golden Age novels. But this guy was a creepy one if I am remembering it correctly. Didn't you love how she dismissed the "impossibility" within minutes and explained it using comomn sense? Palmyra is the best.

    ReplyDelete