Thursday, August 23, 2012

The Writing Routine

I love to read about the process of writing, and how authors go about the business of churning out a novel.  Many live and die by routine.  They have to do the same thing, at the same time, every day.  For example, a writer might work from 6:00 to 10:00 a.m..  Then he reads the paper, has lunch, takes a walk, and proofs the day's work from 3:00 to 6:00 p.m.



This sounds admirable to me, but alas, I can't do it.  Having worked for so many years in jobs that required me to be at the office by a certain time each day, I relish my freedom now.  On Tuesdays and Thursdays, I write in the morning because I work out in the afternoon.  Every other day but Sunday I work out in the morning, so I write in the afternoons.  Sometimes I have a nap, and then I have to write in the evening.  I don't worry about sitting at my desk at a particular time, just so long as I meet my objective of 2,000 words per day.  Oops.  This is beginning to sound suspiciously similar to a routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment